Parenthesising With The Stars

Thursday, December 2, 2010

It sometimes seems like letters, numbers, and those ubiquitous ampersands get all the love. Where are all the parentheses? And then. Then. I came across Albeit. And, unlike so much typographic design, which wears its heart (or its ampersand) loudly (if, very frequently, to great effect) on its sleeve (or round its neck, on its wall, in its kitchen or just about anywhere else)*, these are effective through their sheer restraint...

And they have a very lovely parenthesis, too...

Necklace: Albeit Jewelry via Lushlee (picture from New Twist

And they come in white gold. Really, just shoot me right now. Or at least, hide my credit card...

Even the also-abandoned asterisk** gets a look in...

Necklace: Albeit Jewelry

It flies a little in the face of the subtlety of these designs, but I do think they could look good with several layered to make up a word. In that takes-a-particular-person-and-definitely-not-me kind of way, though. The sort of thing I look a little enviously at on blogs and in magazines, and then go back to the take-one-thing-off-before-leaving-the-house approach to accessorising. Although this approach can get so minimal as to occasionally warrant putting at least some sort of accessory on before leaving the house...

The other thing I like about the designs is that they look just as good (in fact, even better, with some wonderfully insouciant charm) worn off-centre as they do as a pendant. Given the number of times I find myself with a skew-whiff necklace and giving off an impression of having got dressed in the dark, this is something I’m especially keen on!

* It seems as though I’m trying to atone for the parenthesis desert by including them so prolifically as to make up for it single-handedly...
** I’ve discovered that Garance Dore uses just as many asterisks in her blog posts as I do... vindication has a lovely floaty feeling - or am I just seeing (lots of) stars...?

Penguins love comments - please share your thoughts...

  © Blogger template "Shush" by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009, changed to bits and pieces by the Sticky Penguin