Saying It With Food

Friday, September 17, 2010

Normally, when you cook for other people, it’s firstly the fact that you took the time and care to prepare something by hand that sends a message. And what you actually make is very important as well. But there are other ways to says things with (or at least while serving) food...

Picture: the Fox and the Polar Bear

There’s the stealth approach, where the message is disguised (preferably under beautifully plated baking). I can’t help thinking of the Fox and the Polar Bear, and their arch-nemesis Mr Completely Bonkers Raccoon, when I see this...

Pictures: Trixie Delicious on Etsy (who did the other ceramics on this post as well)

Alternatively, a more direct approach can be taken with tea, sugar... and a side order of (hopefully) tongue-in-cheek or (otherwise) vinegar...


It could be fun to have a whole set... I think this is a great way to poke fun at how stuffy afternoon tea (to be said in a posh and imperious voice) can become...



This one might be a perfect match for my inevitable failed batch of macarons once I pluck up the courage to give them a go...


Typography and printed-words-as-decoration are something I’m very keen on in general, and am getting more and more of a liking for as I keep tripping over endlessly distracting cool things in that bucket*.

* Which sounds, I now realise, like I’m galumphing about down a rabbit hole with my foot stuck in a bucket. Very Winnie The Pooh. Not quite the intended effect, but sometimes the accidental silly thoughts are a bit entertaining. Just round the edges...

Kellie Collis on September 19, 2010 at 4:25 AM

These are lovely touches when entertaining guests. Have a fabulous day, Kellie xx

Penguins love comments - please share your thoughts...

  © Blogger template "Shush" by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009, changed to bits and pieces by the Sticky Penguin