One Pig... So Many Options

Thursday, May 27, 2010

After several interesting possibilities for unexpected cooking with pig, a reference to bacon jam caught my attention recently... I wondered what exactly it was, and all sorts of interesting ideas sprang up.

Given the US tendency to combine sweet and savory flavours, I had assumed it was a literal description. French toast with maple syrup and bacon has always struck me as especially odd, but that might just come from having been brought up with the only acceptable accompaniment to French toast being tomato ketchup... and that gets quite enough funny looks of its own...

Picture: Skillet Street Food

As it turns out, bacon jam is a bit more like a sauce or relish sort of thing. Entirely savory-sounding, and no links to preserves (other than the potential for it to be good on toast). I think these interesting pig recipes might be starting to wear me down... oink!

Anna on May 29, 2010 at 10:24 AM

I bought some of the Skillet St Bacon Jam when I was in the US. omg. fabulous. got to try and emulate it here. thanks for the post.
@5pandas

Penguins love comments - please share your thoughts...

  © Blogger template "Shush" by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009, changed to bits and pieces by the Sticky Penguin