Pop Goes The Weasel

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Picture: Tarifa77 on Flickr*

You know those songs that, the first time you hear them, are kind of catchy and not too bad? And then, the more you hear them, the more annoying they gradually become, until they’re being played in the supermarket and you’re there trying very hard not to listen? Well, this doesn’t just seem to be limited to songs. Or advertisements. Or even cupcakes. It’s words as well.

The first time I read about a “pop of colour”, I thought it was a really good way to put it – so visually descriptive and so apt. And I do tend to like words that go for onomatopoeia**. But then, it suddenly seemed like pops of colour were popping up everywhere... the descriptive equivalent of whack-a-mole... I still think they look beautiful. I just wish there was as much variety in how to describe beautiful design as there was in the design itself...




* Because once I start getting on my high horse, only a pile of soap boxes will do (and maybe also a clutter of mixed metaphors for good measure...)
** This is only too apparent when looking back at the titles of recent posts...

Penguins love comments - please share your thoughts...

  © Blogger template "Shush" by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009, changed to bits and pieces by the Sticky Penguin