When I Am An Old Woman I Will Eat Purple

Saturday, March 12, 2011

My mum and I used to joke about becoming an ascerbic old woman who said whatever she pleased and prodded recalcitrant young whippersnappers with a silved-topped cane*. It sounded quite fun (although not as much fun as hooning about on a quad bike!). I like the thought that the (hoped-for) wisdom of years frees us to be more eccentric, rather than growing fusty and conservative.

Then I came across a poem by Jenny Joseph, called Warning (but better known as When I am an Old Woman). It was in a little book sitting on the counter (where much of the whimsical, distracting and just plain silly reading material tends to be), and when I flicked through it, I didn’t realise just how much of a following the poem already had. If you’d like to read more of it, there’s an online version of it here.

When I Am An Old Woman cupcake from Abbie Tabbie
When I am an Old Woman cupcake from Abbie Tabbie

I already wear copious quantities of purple althought very much doubt that (old or otherwise) hats (red or otherwise) will form a regular (or anything but reluctant) part of my sartorial repertoire. But eating purple? That could be an interesting thing to consider...

 
Lavender macarons with honey dark chocolate ganache from The Ginger Cook 

Purple sweet potato pie with easy oats crust from Foodiva
Purple sweet potato pie with easy oats crust from Foodiva

Meyer lemon and blueberry curd from Sunday Hotpants
Meyer lemon and blueberry curd from Sunday Hotpants

Purple pizza from The Cooking Photographer
Purple pizza from The Cooking Photographer

Plum ice cream from Pink Parsley Catering
Plum ice cream from Pink Parsley

Deep fried sweet potato dango from The Sugar Bar
Beni Imo Dango (deep fried sweet potato dango) from The Sugar Bar

Festive devilled eggs from Eating Out Loud

Ube mochi cake from Une-Deux Senses
Ube mochi cake from Une-Deux Senses

Blueberry cardamom cheesecake from G Living 
Blueberry cardamom cheesecake from G Living

Whether it comes from okinawa potatoes, berries, beets, violets or ube, there's a lot of purple potential out there!

Matching purple with brownies is my kind of combination...

Brownies from A La Carte Kitchen
 Baker's one-bowl brownies from A La Carté Kitchen, photo by Joe Longo Photography

But I think I would like to wear more purple right now, just as the poem suggests. Eccentricity is wasted on the old!

* Preferably adorned with an obscure animal, and even more preferably carried only for show and not necessity.

Penguins love comments - please share your thoughts...

  © Blogger template "Shush" by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009, changed to bits and pieces by the Sticky Penguin