Flat But Tasty - A Monday Experiment

Tuesday, March 23, 2010


So, Monday. Not normally all that crash hot, and today really wasn't an exception. The productive things that got done felt like they were cancelled out by niggly things that collectively were an utter pain. Which prompted spontaneous baking efforts this evening.

I tried out a recipe for cornbread which I found while avoiding readings... it came out pretty tasty, but very flat... think this was partly due to the slightly over-large tin it was baked in (so much clutter in the cupboard, but never ever a tin the proper size). And possibly also contributed to by my oven, which is a temperamental so-and-so (Smeg is definitely a four letter word and, rather satisfyingly, sounds like it is as well). The flatness was also notwithstanding my high-handed substitution of the plain flour in the recipe for self raising. Still.

The recipe for flat-but-tasty cornbread is:

1 cup plain flour
1 cup cornmeal (for which I used polenta, believing - and I still do - that they are the same thing)
1/4 cup caster sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
2 large eggs
1/4 cup butter, melted

In a mixing bowl, add all of the dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredients, then beat for one minute, using an electric beater. Pour into a 22 cm square greased baking pan (lined with baking paper worked just as well, and didn't stick at all). Bake at 220C for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown, then allow to cool on a wire rack.

Very quick. Very easy. Good served as an accompaniment to dinner. I will definitely make cornbread again, but might be keen to try one that's a little fluffier. The picture at the top is how it looked (although it is apparent that my photography skills are about on par with my baking skills...).

Thoughts for next time...


From: Delish.com

From: The Cooks We Are

From: Culinary Arts

All I can say is, trust me to go and make the only locatable cornbread recipe which doesn't include baking powder. And on a Monday, too...

Penguins love comments - please share your thoughts...

  © Blogger template "Shush" by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009, changed to bits and pieces by the Sticky Penguin