Dream Destination

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

A long, long time ago, something caught my eye on, of all places, a wedding website. And it wasn’t an indie wedding without a moustache on a stick – it was even better! These miniature skyscrapers (skyhopers perhaps?) were so fun, but not in a pink-and-sparkly-and-cutesy-(oh-my!) sort of way. Insert odd sound combining a gasp of amazement and a sigh of relief here (and that’s a tricky sound, as making it seems to lead to breathing in and out at the same time, producing hiccups or choking splutters. Not so fun, that bit).

Here's a picture of what I found, so you can see how cute (but not cutesy) they are...

Picture: Kate Murphy via Once Wed

This wedding used them too...

Picture: Dave Robbins Photography via Snippet and Ink
 
I looked all over the interwebs for them. Which is tricky without even knowing what they were made of (I started out wondering if they were kraft paper), let alone what you might describe them as. And then I found... Paris

City in a bag from Muji

This little wooden cityscape would be lovely in a quiet corner of a bookshelf. It’s also the sort of thing I think would be great for kids– except it probably falls firmly into the category of things that their parents are far more smitten by than their offspring, and which are just a little too cool to be any good to be played with, and no competition for Bratz dolls or whatever unholy sparkly horror modern sprogs are onto by now.

And then, in a corner of the overload of fabulous stuff I have neither space nor justification for but still covet that is the MoMa Store, there were little cities in bags. In person. Of New York. Like these...
City in a bag from MoMa Store

Which leads to my thinking that with a bag of each, I could create my perfect destination. I’d just need to be very, very small to visit it. And it seems a little light on bakeries. Perhaps it’s better that Paris and New York stay separate – it gives me twice as many places to go. And at least three times as many pastries to eat...

Penguins love comments - please share your thoughts...

  © Blogger template "Shush" by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009, changed to bits and pieces by the Sticky Penguin